On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Johan Dahlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This mail is long overdue, but I finally got my act together and started to
> prepare for an initial release.

[snip]

> == GIR XML Format ==
>
> The core of the GObject-introspection is an XML format which is called GIR
> (
> GObject Introspection Repository) which contains the API introspection
> metadata for a library or interface entity.
>
> GIR currently contains three different XML namespaces:
>  - core
>    contains features available in popular programming languages,
>    classes, methods, functions, interfaces, properties, strings,
>    enums etc.
>  - c
>    contains features specific to the C language:
>    identifiers, symbol names, C types
>  - glib
>    contains features specific to GLib/GObject:
>    signal, GType, flags, paramspec,
>
> The separation of different data in different namespaces allow you
> to reuse it allows you to arbitrarily extend the metadata available
> in different languages.

I've noticed that the Typelib is missing an attribute for the API version,
that is, something similar to the "since" in gtk-doc. My guess is the GIR
format is missing that, as well. I think it would be useful to track the
version at which each symbol was introduced, so that language bindings, for
example, can build against multiple versions of a library.

Also, an indication of whether a function has variadic arguments would be
useful. I can't find that in the typelib, as far as I've looked.

Thanks for picking up this project and doing a great job,
Michael