Hi,

I've been eye balling the GIO docs for a while without finding
in-/output for gzip compression... So if I missed it stop me now :-)

>From the looks of it, it should be straight forward to write
GZip{In,Out}putStream classes based on zlib[1]. If I write these
classes would a zlib dep. be OK for GIO? It is pretty ubiquitous as
far as I can tell (and it is already a depency of Gtk+)... And I am
not really all that keen on writing my own gzip/DEFLATE implementation
(to say the least).

Another thing is the naming. Since this is not about supporting the
Zip archive format (but that would be nice too) the name GZip*Stream
might be bad. On the other hand i abhor the ALLCAPS GZIPInputStream
used in fx. Java. What about GGZip*Stream - eeek!?

--
Cheers,
Mikkel

[1]: http://zlib.net/