On 23 May 2012, at 10:05, John Emmas wrote:

> Still a bit confused really...  :-(

Not any more....

My confusion arose from the fact that the notes for g_filename_to_uri() (i.e.
the note inside gconvert.c) states that its based on the requirements of RFC
2396:-

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

which has no requirement for a URI string to be pre-converted into UTF-8.
However, I've just been told by a colleague that RFC 2396 has been superseded
by RFC 3986:-

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986

by which time, the requirement had been introduced (see the very last paragraph
of section 2).

So yes - it looks like Glib is doing the right thing and the problem must be
elsewhere.  Thanks for everyone's help with this.

John