On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Cosimo Cecchi <cosi...@gnome.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpie...@mecheye.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Cosimo talks about GtkPopover and GtkMenu, but those just sort of have me
>> stunned. Why should I use one instead of the other?
>>

> I doubt application authors choose which widget to use by reading type
> names in API references;

Assuming that questions on Stack Overflow are an approximate poll of what
application authors do - many application authors go to the documentation
and do exactly that. (And often don't bother to read any further - I've
often enough seen questions about a deprecated widget such as GtkList which
was selected purely based on its name.)

> if you're following a style guide like the HIG, the recommendation will
> come from there.
> Other times you will want a widget that looks/works like one you've seen
> elsewhere, and the visual/behavioral difference will make it obvious why
> there are two different classes.

This also happens, though - people will post a screenshot and say "What is
this widget?" We could make the Widget Gallery page more discoverable in
the documentation in order to encourage this.

--
Philip