On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Cosimo Cecchi <cosi...@gnome.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Owen Taylor <otay...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Do we trust this code or not? If not, we should either a) sandbox it or
>> b) delete it.
>>
>> Moving less-trusted loaders into a separate repo is a blame-the-user or
>> blame-the-os-vendor move, depending on who installs them onto the system.
>>

> The only way to prevent the blame game you mention in a typical
> distribution where everything is installed through packages would be to
> stop supporting out of tree modules entirely, if I interpret your concern
> correctly.
>
> My point is that as long as that's the case, at least maintaining them in
> a central location gives people an aggregation point for fixes.

But they are not being maintained by anybody, and the fixes have not been
aggregating... every few years some security researchers decide to have a
look at image loaders, and then we get a bunch of overflows and corruptions
reported, and either me of Benjamin grudgingly fix them. And both of us are
tired of doing that.