On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 11:30 AM Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <poch...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 21/06/16 16:26, Peter Weber wrote:
> > I don't see here an active discussion about Gtk+4.0[1]? So I'm trying to
> > write about my thoughts, in a careful way. In the first moment, I thought
> > this is a good idea and just the numbering is misleading. Stability is
> what
> > developers want, we need it, we love it. With a few days distance,
> > numbering is just a small issue, I see this now entirely different and
> > three major issues:
>
> Here are some thoughts I have about all this, from a downstream maintainer
> POV.

Thanks! It's good to get opinions from all over the place.

My concern with this new scheme is that GTK+ libraries will have to bump the
> soname every 6 months (if they want to support the latest GTK+). That can
> be
> manageable for say vte or gnome-desktop, although it may be bad if some
> third
> party apps pick a dependency on the vte for GTK+ 4.2 but don't update it
> for
> GTK+ 4.4, as then distros would need to ship an increasing number of
> versions
> that are unlikely to get any support upstream.

I'm expecting this will become less and less of a problem as apps move to
Flatpak as a means of distribution.

But do you expect WebKitGTK+ to bump the ABI every 6 months?

That does seem to point to a problem — if an app uses Library X which does
follow the unstable GTK series, and Library Y which doesn't, then the app
developer is forced to stick to the stable series of GTK and an old version
of Library X in order to accommodate Library Y.

Any thoughts?

I feel like the X.[024] releases are just snapshots of a development branch,
> with X.6 being the stable release, and I wonder if X.[024] shouldn't
> clearly be
> labelled as that, regardless of what version number is chosen (be it 4.0,
> 3.99.0, 4.0beta1 or whatever).

In my opinion the label "unstable release" communicates exactly that. I'm
not sure what "development branch" communicates that "unstable release"
doesn't?

Regards,
Philip C