On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Bastien Nocera <had...@hadess.net> wrote:
> 2) Use giflib to load GIF files
> Again, the gif loader is kind of hard to read and maintain and giflib
> seems to be well maintained. It would start with a new loader, which we
> could force load and check that it can pass all the test cases we have
> for the home-made GIF loader, and then use it to fix the additional
> bugs.
>
> This would be a single GSoC, with 1) being used to become familiar with
> gdk-pixbuf loaders, and 2) the actual target.

It would also be an interesting/useful project to add Rust-based
pixbuf loaders which can then replace the C-based ones once they're
working at-par (or close enough).

I remember hearing Federico mention that he'd be interested in working
on that himself—perhaps he'd also be interested in mentoring someone
to work on that?

Cheers,
Nirbheek