On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 02:00:09AM -0700, Christian Hergert wrote:
> On 04/05/2018 01:32 AM, Jonas Ådahl wrote:
> > The reason for moving away from using subsurfaces for various things is
> > that they cannot be positioned properly when they extend outside the
> > parent window (they tend to sometimes go partly off-screen), and should
> > rather use xdg_popup+xdg_positioner instead.
>
> The problem with that approach, at least if my experience using things
> is an accurate representation of the design, is that it's quite
> difficult to change or reposition the xdg_popup without first unmaping
> the widget.
>
> For example, imagine a popup that can grow in both directions
> horizontally, but stay anchor'd to a position off-center.
>
>                       | original size here ... ...   |
>          +------------+------------------------------+-------+
>          |            |    dx anchor here            |       |
>          |            |                              |       |
>          +------------+------------------------------+-------+
>          | new size        dx anchor still here              |
>
> I've yet to get this to work with the popup without first hiding the
> window which gives this really annoying flicker.
>
> But when using a subsurface, it basically Just Works™.

Right. But that is something that should be fixable by improving what
xdg_popups can do, i.e. make them movable. By using subsurfaces, you'll
forever be stuck with partly-off-screen bugs.

Is it not possible to some how use a _move_to_rect() API, and use some
hint we can assume means it needs to be movable, and until xdg_popup is
further extended, make the assumption that we should for now use
subsurfaces?

Jonas