>  > Gdk:gdkwindow-win32.c:702: CreateWindowEx failed: Not enough storage is
>  > available to complete this operation.
>
>  > I understand on a superficial level what the message is about, of
>  > course; the system has run out of some kind of resource,
>
> Not really likely. The error message is probably just misleading. You
> are creating your window in some unexpected way that causes
> CreateWindowEx to fail. The error code returned is misleading, or
> maybe its corresponding plaintext message too specific for a generic
> error code.

No, I think it *is* likely. What I might have pointed out a bit more
clearly, is that when I say "lots" of widgets, I don't mean 20 or 30 or
even 100; I'm talking about literally thousands, or even tens of
thousands of widgets. They are buttons, actually, displayed inside a
scrolled window, with (to compound matters further) a couple of levels
of boxes in between - there may be something like 1000 containers in
additions to the buttons.

The actual number depends on input data, and with, say, 2-300 buttons,
or perhaps even 2-3000, everything is OK, but with something like 20000,
problems definitely occur. Like I said, the whole thing could use a
redesign, but I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to do one right now,
since I need to release a beta within the next few days (or preferably
yesterday, as always.)
> [ ... ]
>
>  > Gtk version is 2.6.8... Yeah, I know, there are newer ones available,
>  > but this was the latest (stable) one we found precompiled when starting
>  > this project a few months ago...
>
> You can't have been looking very seriously then.
I didn't look at all, actually. One of my colleagues chose this package.
I sort of assumed he downloaded the latest stable version for MinGW, but
maybe he instead went for something closer to what we are using on Linux
- where we always target the software for a somewhat older version so as
not to force our customers to upgrade their computers every two weeks.
(And I'm quite happy not doing that myself, too. Software doesn't rust...)

- Toralf