From: Vallone, Anthony [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:05 PM
To: Paul Stuart; gtk-list@gnome.org
Subject: RE: Large GTK Application design tips

Hi Paul,

I led a very large government project using GTK+ and C++ with great success.  I
don't know of any docs on the subject, but here are the top three tips that I
had to learn the hard way:

 1.  GTK+ is not thread safe, and the gdk_threads_enter/gdk_threads_leave calls
don't always work.  When worker threads need to do something to the GUI, just
use g_idle_add().
 2.  Glade together with libglade is a must.  With your GUI layout defined in
XML, its easy to make mass GUI changes via a script.  It also simplifies
testing, since you don't need to re-compile when trying out different layouts.
 3.  We created a C++ wrapper class hierarchy for each significant widget we
use.  The wrappers allow us to easily change the look and/or behavior of all of
those widgets in our system (ex: all non-editable GtkEntries have a grey
background, or custom search box below all GtkTreeViews). The wrappers are also
useful when you discover GTK+ quirks that you need to work around (All GUI
toolkits have them).
-Anthony Vallone