On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 7:55 PM, Ian Chapman <ichap...@videotron.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Chris,
>     I think that not only is my code broken my idea on how to do what I
> want is broken.  I must fix that before I start on the code.
>
>     My starting point was two button, scan off and scan on in glade.  Scan
> on sets a flag and it scans til the off button is pressed.  So the off
> button could not be pressed til end-of-scan, a situation commonly known as
> a deadly embrace in hardware design.  After that g_idle_add() was pointed
> out to me and I've been innovating rather blindly ever since.
>
>     I interpreted g_idle_add() as inserting Scanning() into the main loop
> and if Scanning returned FALSE it was removed from the main loop.  So I
> guess I'm not understanding the following explanation of
> guint g_idle_add(GSourceFunc function, gpointer data); :-

it is worse than this. you don't understand the difference between naming a
function and calling a function. consider the following code:

gboolean foo() { return FALSE; }
foo; /* names foo */
foo(); /* calls foo */

g_idle_add (foo, NULL); /* adds foo to the idle part of the main event loop
*/
g_idle_add (foo(), NULL); /* calls foo and adds its return value, FALSE
(aka 0 or NULL) to the idle loop */