On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Timm Bäder <m...@baedert.org> wrote:

> Those warnings usually come from
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/gtkwindow.c?h=gtk-3-22#n9744
>
> The output you're seeing is from gtkwidget.c and inside a
> #ifdef G_ENABLE_DEBUG guard. G_ENABLE_DEBUG gets defined when
> --disable-debug is NOT passed to the GTK+ build. A few of the warnings
> in gtk+ have been put into #ifdef G_ENABLE_CONSISTENCY_CHECKS guards
> instead, which is only defined when --enable-debug is explicitly passed
> to the build.

I'm in a similar situation as the Devil's Jester in that I try to use the
precompiled binaries  provided by my distros to maintain compatibility with
my system.

Also, in this particular case, I really feel that the warning is produced
by the underlying gtk system.  In the code I provided, the toplevel window
is a given size; when I expand the TreeStore, I do not expect to resize
containing ScrolledWindow or the toplevel window.  All this should be
handled internally, should it not?  Additionally, the fact that the warning
is not issued when expanding the first group causes the list to exceed the
height of the window does seem to be an inconsistency and appears to be an
error in the code itself.

If you can come up with a patch, I'm sure it would be merged.

I'm not sure I'm competent to be working on Gtk itself.