------- Original Message -------
On Sunday, April 3rd, 2022 at 6:38 PM, john <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:

>> On Apr 3, 2022, at 5:59 AM, Dominik Reichardt via gtk-osx-users-list
>> <gtk-osx-users-list@gnome.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as per the instructions on https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK/OSX/Building
>> I added
>> moduleset="https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk-osx/blob/master/MODULESETS/gtk-osx.modules";
>>  to jhbuildrc-custom.
>> Along with that I have setup_sdk(target="10.11") and changed the paths of
>> prefix and checkoutroot.
>> "jhbuild bootstrap-gtk-osx" works but when I run "jhbuild build
>> meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap meta-gtk-osx-gtk3" I get this error:

>> jhbuild build: failed to parse
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk-osx/blob/master/MODULESETS/gtk-osx.modules:
>>  not well-formed (invalid token): line 132, column 4
>>
>> Am I doing it wrong or did it break at some point?
>>
>> I'm also wondering what the correct setup_sdk() entry is for trying my hands
>> at building both arches, x86_64 and arm64. And on top of that whether it is
>> possible to use different targets depending on the arch? Perhaps through
>> reading the architecture environment variable?
>> Something like this perhaps:
>> setup_sdk(architectures=["x86_64"]["arm64"]) <- here I don't know how to
>> enter different arches
>> _arches = os.environ.get("ARCHITECTURES")
>> if _arches is arm64:
>> setup_sdk(target="11.1")
>> if _arches is x86_64 setup_sdk(target="10.11")
>>
>> Thanks so much for this project! Through this I've been able to provide a
>> macOS snapshot of our Exult Studio for about a year now (http://exult.info).
>
> You didn't do anything wrong, there was I typo. I just pushed a fix.

Thanks, I had taken a quick look but didn't see an error right away (and I
wasn't sure whether the "tag" error meant a closing tag or a github tag).
Installing this right now.

> It would be setup_sdk(architectures=['x86_64', 'arm64']) but unfortunately
> most build systems aren't able to deal with that so it doesn't work. Way back
> in the PPC/i686 days there was a jhbuildrc that tried to build each
> architecture separately and lipo them together, but it never really worked
> and I took it out as part of the virtualenv rewrite a few years ago since at
> that time macOS was x86_64 only. It's still in git history so you could dig
> it out and have a go at getting it working. Warning: When it was written
> everything in the main gtk stack used autotools. That's no longer the case so
> it will be much harder now. Even cross-compiling will be harder now because
> of the different build systems in use. Gobject-introspection is another
> wrinkle, as is librsvg's use of Rust.
>
> jhbuildrc-custom is python so if you can program it in python you can do it.
> My jhbuildrc-custom uses an environment variable to select the project I want
> to build, the modulesets directory to use, and the macosx-version-min to set.
> It calls uname to set the architecture.

Yes, using the setup_sdk way fails right away in the configure stage of
xz-5.2.5 (both on an intel and m1 machine), so I'm abandoning this idea again.
As Exult Studio "only" depends on 43 libs (including the 14 gdk-pixbiúf-2.0
loaders), I might go down the road of gluing them via lipo via script and only
bother to update every once in a while.

Cheers,

Dom