I have found that all my problems are related to strings saved into an array:

my @MESSAGE = (_("string1"),
        _("string2"),
        _("string3"),
        _("string4"),
        _("string5")
       );

when I try to display $MESSAGE[n] I am getting the scrambled text...
Is something related to arrays? Should I remove all the text from the
array and embed it in the code?