Just came across this at
http://live.gnome.org/GTK2-Perl/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-ca3eac3d2016b4893bea39bcf1c1b3565ce450ad

This should make sure that every time you add text to the widget,it is scrolled
to the bottom.

# create a mark at the end of the buffer, with right gravity,
# so that when you insert text, the mark always stays on
# the right (at the end).
my $end_mark = $buffer->create_mark ('end', $buffer->get_end_iter, FALSE);
# every time we insert text, scroll to that mark.
$buffer->signal_connect (insert_text => sub {
        $textview->scroll_to_mark ($end_mark, 0.0, TRUE, 0.0, 1.0);
});

On Apr 14, 2008, at 18:41, Jamie Lahowetz wrote:
> I have been struggling with this and I just cant seem to figure what
> the problem is. I have this IRC client that wont scroll far enough
> down to show the full text. Its rather hard to explain but I'll give
> it a try:
> when you get down to the bottom on the textview and you go to enter
> a message such as:
> John(10:00:00) I have to go to the story today and get some fruit.
> And this message is the last one to be entered before the bottom of
> the window therefore causing it to have to scroll down, the program
> only shows the first line:
> John(10:00:00) I have to go to the story
> Forcing the user to scroll down to view the rest:
> today and get some fruit.
> You can see that this would be a problem when users are chatting,
> having to always take your attention off of the session just to
> scroll down and view the whole message. Currently the program uses
> the code $chat_textview->scroll_to_mark where mark is defined as the
> end iter of the buffer. I cant figure how to get this to work and
> show the whole text without the user having to manually scroll down.
> I am wondering if the word wrapping is causing it since this
> behavior is true for a single unwrapped line. I would appreciate any
> help on this since it seems like such a simple thing and I cant
> figure it.

snip