On Apr 21, 2008, at 8:12 PM, Thomas Rosario wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to build a GUI to show console output of an existing
> application. What I've done is 'clicked' signal_connect from
> Gtk2::Button will execute the application and save the output into a
> Gtk2::TextBuffer which will be displayed in Gtk2::TextView.
>
> At the moment, if the button is pressed, the whole GUI will 'freeze'
> and after the application execution is finished, the complete output
> is displayed. My question is, how can it be done so textview will be
> updated in real time with the console output instead of waiting the
> whole execution to be finished.

You need to use a pipe-open to read the output of your helper program
from a child process.

How do i keep my GUI updating while doing a long file read?
http://live.gnome.org/GTK2-Perl/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-20b1c1d3a92f0c61515cb88d15e06b686eba6cbc

--
It's all very complicated and would take a scientist to explain it.
   -- MST3K