On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 18:17:25 -0700 (PDT)
MICHAEL MCGINN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an existing perl Gtk2 application that will run a sub-process based on
>user initiation(button click) and it reports back to an output console as it
>progresses. This is a consistent activity that happens every hour or so.
>
>I'd like to maintain the 'manual' initiation but provide an 'automatic-mode'
>and have it run the event at a pre-determined time (60-90 minute intervals).
>
>What is the best way to do this with perl & Gtk2?
>
>Regards,
>Michael

Use a timer.
Return 1 from the callback to keep the timer going.
Return 0 to end the timer.

> > I need to refresh (update) a window (in
> > fact a widget) every X seconds.

my $id = Glib::Timeout->add ($milliseconds, \&timeout_handler);

 sub timeout_handler {
    do_cool_stuff ();
    return $need_to_stay_installed;  # return 0 or 1 to kill/keep timer going
 }

http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/doc/pod/Glib/MainLoop.html#integer_Glib_Timeout
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-The-Main-Event-Loop.html#g-timeout-add

zentara