I'm @ work now ( new job too ) so I can't spend time right now preparing an
example, but I have this kind of functionality in Gtk3::Ex::DBI -
http://tesla.duckdns.org/gtk3-ex-dbi/ - ( specifically in the
Datasheet class ), where the list of items in a combo box are populated by
a query, using a value or values from other cells as a filter. Look for
stuff related to refresh_dynamic_combos in Gtk3::Ex::DBI::Datasheet. If
you're still having issues with it, reply and I'll give you a hand tonight
or ASAP.

Dan