Hi,

I recently wanted to poke around at Cairo and noticed it was only
available as part of gtk2hs.
It seemed to me Cairo ought to be a separate library so I made an
attempt at splitting Cairo out of the gtk2hs build.  While I was at
it, I converted the build to just Cabal, which means it'd also be
available via cabal-get.  This involved converting the Cairo-specific
code to use the upstream c2hs among other changes.

My questions for you:
- Does this plan in general seem desirable to you?  In theory, Cairo
can be built against other targets (like in this open issue:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1180) and I guess having
an independent build could make adding those easier.
- Where can/should I host the independent Cairo package?
- Do you really care about supporting GTK versions older than 2.8
anymore?  I found while looking through the gtk2hs build that a lot of
the complexity is supporting what seems to me to be obsolete
configurations.
- How can I test that this change actually works?

I've attached my patch (minus the patch that just rm -r's the "cairo"
subdir of the gtk2hs distribution) that *seems* to work, but I
probably overlooked some pieces.
If this general idea looks good to you, I'd like advice on how to
better get this ready in a state to commit.  (E.g. one huge patch?
Multiple patches?  I'm not too good with darcs...)

Hopefully this could be the first step in a larger process, which
would be to split all of the independent libraries out of gtk2hs.  For
example, I could see pulling "svgcairo" library out into its own
package as well, probably renaming it to an rsvg binding (since that's
really what it is) in the process.