Hi Axel,

I first tried cabal install appindicator-0.1, which failed and seem to
indicate is was a distro package. So I looked for something with that
name in Synaptic on Ubuntu.

There were two packages in the Ubuntu repo with a similar name to what
cabal mentioned -- gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 was already installed, but
gir1.2-appindicator-0.1 was not. I tried installing the latter but it
made no difference.

However, the distro package that Andrew pointed out made things work,
yet is not named very similarly to what cabal was mentioning (and it did
not seem to depend on anything else either), so I am not sure what the
relationship is between libappindicator-dev and appindicator-0.1 (or the
"1" and "3" versions of everything relating to app indicators in the
Ubuntu repo). Strange.

Thanks again :)