Why is it whenever someone criticizes HD someone always cries "Harley
Bashing".

Steve, I don't think anyone here was sinking to that level. I think everyone
has a right to air their opinion and criticize as long as it's done in a
fair way and with good humor. I've owned BMWs, Ducatis, Japanese bikes and
currently also own a Guzzi, all of which come in for their share of
criticism, a lot of which is deserved. Perhaps Harleys do get criticized
more than other brands but that's probably because there's more ground for
criticism. I know HD is hugely successful and contributes greatly to the
economy and kudos to them for their business savvy, but don't try to tell me
that that means I should think their product is any good. The public gets
conned all the time into buying the wrong stuff. Look at all those ab
exercisers and trucks. OK, OK, before you guys get all upset and email me a
list of the reasons you need a truck, I believe YOU need a truck (especially
you HD and Ducati owners...sorry, just a joke ;-)...), I just don't believe
all half of the American population is better off with a truck than with
another product. Yes, it's a free country. No, I'm not telling you what to
do or what to buy. I'm just explaining what I and a lot of people think.

The only motorcycles I don't really care for much are cruisers (which
coincidentally means all HD except Buells) and those mega-tourer Goldwing
types. I don't hate them. I still consider owners of such as fellow
Motorcyclists. Some of my friends even own them. I would never own one but
that's just my personal taste. The cruisers I like least are the Japanese
ones, because they deliberately step back in technology and function to copy
HD. The cruisers I like best are the BMW and Guzzi cruisers because they
have not chosen to blatantly copy HD, are more original and retain better
"form follows function / performance" principles.

There's a fairly good article worth reading about "Cruisermania" at the
Interactive Motorcycle web site at
http://207.168.125.101/index/features/cruiser/cruiser.htm which is mainly
critical of Japanese cruisers and actually recommends getting a HD if a
cruiser is your thing.

Cheers Joe.