In a message dated 12/2/99 12:24:52 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> to us northerners,

That's my cue;

>  i would like some feedback on what people pay to have their motorcycles
>  stored. besides those who leave them in their garage. i am thinking of
>  buying a heated storage unit.

Neato!  Good place to sulk when the wife wants to reorganize the furniture or
invite inlaws over.

i know alot of people who store their bikes
>  and cars but know very few people who store them in a heated enviroment.

Me either.  I have discovered an inverse relationship between "proper" winter
storage and how long I keep a vehicle.  For instance, should I go through a
two day procedure, I'll have sold the bike by May.

For the bike being stored a heated environment is not really beneficial.
Rather, temperature consistency, to avoid condensation, is the word.  I have
not seen a bike shiver yet.

What I do:

*Check the radiator and make sure your coolant is up to snuff.  Mine has to
stay liquid to -30f to remain in a liquid state.
*Fill your fuel tank and add some stabilizer.  Run the bike to circulate the
stabilizer.
*Cover your exhaust pipe (Ask S/A#2 why.... "yuk-yuk")
*Put it on the centerstand.
*Try to make sure your oil has under 1000 miles.
* Might want to add change brake fluid to this list considering the likely
consequences.

With the number of internal combustion engines scattered in my (here it
comes, Kevin) POLEBARN,  I try to minimize fall efforts.

Spring time: = mid May... :^(
Change fluids, check tires, take cover off exhaust, change brake fluid --
other tid-bits I don't remember right now, but I have a checklist.

Kurt