OK--I may get flamed here, but the electrical engineer in me can't stand it
anymore--I've gotta jump in!!

There are several factors determining how "hot" your electric clothing
is--there's more to it than just "ohms".  The true concept of thermal rise
(temperature rise above ambient temperature) is based on two factors.  1)
Watts, and 2) Thermal Resistance.

1)  Watts=Volts squared / ohms or Watts=VoltsXAmps.  (10 ohm glove = 14.4
Watts, 3 ohm jacket = 48 Watts, etc.)  This is the amount of energy that the
article of clothing is dissipating.

2)  Thermal Resistance:  This is trickier to explain--things like clothing
area, distance to measurement point (your skin), outside ambient
temperature, insulation from the outside to the heating element, etc.  All
of these have an impact on how these watts are dissipated and can be lumped
into the category of thermal resistance.

Ultimately, as a rider, you're interested in the temperature rise (above
surroundings) at your skin generated by the electric clothing.  The gloves
are dissipating fewer watts, but it's over a smaller area, the insulation to
your skin is different, the layers of insulation to the outside air is
different than the same factors for the vest or jacket liner.  The
temperature rise depends on the combination of the watts being dissipated
and the overall thermal resistance of the source.

So what does it all mean to us??  We have two choices--1) go through an
exhaustive analysis of all of the above factors, or 2) experiment around and
find out what works.  The ideal world woud have separate controllers for all
pieces of clothing, but that leads to cumbersome wiring, a royal pain to get
dressed, and lots of things to fiddle with while riding.  Otherwise, you
just have to try different things to find out what works for you.  Multiple
controllers may be necessary, they may not, but expecting a glove to be the
same temperature as a vest under all riding conditions is optimistic at
best.

For me, personally, I live in the desert and don't have to deal with this on
a regular basis.  I do own a pair of Gerbing's electric gloves and I rigged
a toggle switch in line to turn it on and off.  Very crude, but it has
worked well for me.  By the way, they're also less bulky than my
non-electric cold weather gloves.

Ultimately, my ramblings on the topic is that there is more to it than "just
the ohms" of any one piece of clothing.  Any way you go about it, though,
electrics are great.

Feel free to flame on!!  I'll switch off my gloves if it gets too hot.  ;-)

Terry Baker