From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]  On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Thursday, January 06, 2000 5:53 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list
Subject:        Re: HU Replacement

Paul, the HU is the Hydraulic Unit for the ABS.  There has been 30+ HU
failures noted by those on the list.  This is a very high failure rate
when the amount of GTS's on the road is taken into account.

There have been many many postings on this list about ABS failures.  Joe
Loss was kind enough, on behalf of all GTS owners, to put a letter
together on this topic and send it to Yamaha for their opinion.  Their
initial response was that nothing would/could be done.  But then just
prior to Christmas Yamaha gave us all a present, they will "fix" and/or
replace the unit, if it has failed at no cost to the owner.

How do you know if your ABS is working?  First, there are for more rear
brake failures than front.  The suggestion has been made that you test
your ABS.  Try locking up the rear brake when stopping.  If you feel a
pulsation on the rear brake pedal and you don't leave a continuos skid
mark, you should be OK.  The front can be tested in the same manner, but
of course, it is a little riskier.

Grant Gall

Paul Koontz wrote:

> Grant:
>
> I am new to the list and have had my GTS since July 1998. I don't mean to
> sound thick but can you explain what the HU is.
>
> Thanks in advance for a response.
>
> Paul Koontz

On