AS many have said, the flapper valve makes a big difference. If you don't "burp"
the tank when filling, your not filling up. Cutting the flapper out will give
you another 1/2 gal  capacity - 5.8 gal. It's an easy mod if you have access to
a Dremel tool. Just remove the tank from the bike, dump all the fuel and remove
the large plate on the side (fuel pump). this will give you access to the
inside. Depending on speed I get 45-38 mpg - figure out your mileage and then
look to see how much gas you are putting in.
I was regularly getting 220-230 range at 80-90 but I have a 44 tooth sprocket on
the rear - turning 4,600 rpm at 80.

On another note, I have calibrated my bike riding with a buddy who has GPS and
also the odometer from the rally's I run. The GTS's are way optimistic, so don't
go bragging about how fast you are going - your really not. My odometer is
gaining 4 mi for every 100 traveled. At an indicated 100 mph I'm not quite doing
90. Based upon my gearing 4500 rpm is really 75. I'm looking around for a
speedometer shop or getting an Avocet digital speedometer.
by the way - I'm running a120 x 60 series front tire.
--
Dave Biasotti  //  Fremont, CA
93 GTS-1000  //  83 Honda CX650Turbo