I've modified the tank on my bike (thanks to Roger V's excellent help.  I'm
a laser jock who's comfy tinkering with cars and stuff, but modifying the
bike scared me a bit (cutting up your baby and all that)  The procedure was
easy.  BUT YOU MUST USE CAUTION PLEASE!

1)  Take the cowlings off (Top Left & Right, Grey Glove box area, etc.
Remove the Air box (a gazillion screws!)Remove the Dog food from under the
air filters (Long story!) Drain & Take the tank off.  Remove the fuel pump
from the side of the tank (carefully!) Tank pictures as you're going along
so you can remember how it all goes back together!  You might want to do
this in 2 steps....this part in the evening, the next part the next day...

Place the tank on a clean surface.  With the cap off (an fuel pump out) put
the blowing end of a vacuum cleaner hose into the tank.  Turn it on and blow
the tank out for a while...we're trying to clean the tank from as many fumes
as possible.

The next day....place a plastic bag with a small magnet around the flapper
unit (from underneath and inside the tank)  Take your dye cutter or dremel
tool.  From above, feel down to the point where the two pieces are
compressed together to form a lip...cut at the bottom edge of the lip...all
the way around the opening.  Grab the bag as you get near the final cut)
Keep the bag up there, smooth the edges with another tool (file, dremel
disk, etc)  Keep the bag up right and pull it out through the side hole.

Reassemble...put some gas in and go fill up....cursing yourself for not
doing this early!

Enjoy, watch out for fumes and Kimble's & Bits.... (oh yea blow out your
filters while you have them off...)

Thanks to all the vet's for making this simple before me!

Shawn P