----------
>From: "Lanouette, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Subject: Price of the GTS  in Europe
>
>I was looking at Yamaha's brochure for 1999, the GTS is cheaper than the R-1
>!
>If those are Swiss franc that would be about 12,000 US $ !
> http://www.jps.net/keyworth/gts/GTS11.jpg
----------
Not here in Spain: an R1 costs about 9700 US$, while a new GTS1000 will set
you back close to 10800 US$ - a bit more it it's got ABS. Low mileage used
ones can be easily found on mags for about 5000 US$.

Re Mark's message:

>AFAIK, the "new" GTS's being sold in Europe since 1994 are
>really the 1994 leftovers. The bodywork is all from the original production run
>(you'll find red paint under the top color!).
>
>If they are really selling new old stock bikes, I wonder if Yamaha dealers are
>replacing the ~6 year old rubber bits (like the fuel and brake lines, caliper
>seals, etc.) that deteriorate whether they are in use or not.

I've seen a couple new GTS's in a showroom here. They are '94 spec, don't
know about manufacturing date. But I do know everything looked just as brand
new as on the R1's next to it, including all rubber parts.

BTW, riding an R1 to a biker's meeting over here is no fun - there are so
many of them it looks like you get them free with every two cereal boxes you
buy. My '93 draws a crowd every time, and I can be sure no one else is
riding the same rig. Heck, I wouldn't fit on an R1 anyway...

Roberto.