In your message dated: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:40:10 EDT,
your pithy ruminations on <RE: Aux lights> were:

=> Henry,
=>
=> Before spending any money on aux. lights buy a relay and a 90/130
=> PIAA bulb for the stock reflector.  Take a little time to adjust and

Whoa! If you're going to use a higher wattage bulb, be sure to add a relay and
have the bulb powered directly from the battery. You'll get brighter light (due
to the reduced current drop) and eliminate the chance of burning out the stock
wiring. Another consideration is heat. With my BMW R1100RS and an 80/100 bulb,
I had the stock H4 socket _melt_. I replaced that socket with a porcelain unit
from PIAA.

=> aim.  It is the best lighting I have had on a motorcycle and I have
=> tried a few things; including 1200's and and an 80 XT on past mounts.
=> I just finished a rally in Canada and I rode with another rider that
=> had aux. lighting and dual headlights.  My GTS stock headlight made
=> his set up look like he was riding in the dark and did a much better
=> job of lighting both on low and high beam on those twisty back roads.

A higher wattage bulb helps a great deal, but my complaint wasn't with the
light output itself (although I was running an 80/100 bulb prior to the HID). I
didn't like the mis-alignment between the high and low beams. This meant that
if one was adjusted well, the other was much too high or low. Going to the HID
means that the low beam is always on; when I hit the high beam switch, the PIAA
lamps are added.

=>
=>   I have no intention of spending money or gunking up the looks of the
=> GTS with aux. lighting.  It isn't  necessary when you have a more
=> powerful headlight bulb.
=>
=> http://www.abt-compost.com/ldr.html        see..F Mods
=>
=> hawke
=>

--
Mark Bergman    Biker, IATSE #1 Stagehand, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic
'94 Yamaha GTS1000A

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
5+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman