In your message dated: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:23:06 EDT,
your pithy ruminations on <exhaust for GTS> were:
=> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
=> this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
=>
=> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C01CF6.EABB0412
=>      charset="iso-8859-1"
=>
=> This is what I posted earlier in the year.  See if you can find these web
=> pages...
=>
=>
=> When my bike was knocked over, the muffler was damaged.  I notice on
=> Kearny's GTS web site that a Carbon Fiber replacement was listed.  Can
=> anybody vouch for correct fit, noise levels and power output change ?  It is
=> listed at $300, and the Yamaha part was over $500 on my first investigation.
=> Any preference ?  I am not really trying to get MORE noise, but more power
=> would be great.

I replaced my stock muffler with an M4 carbon fiber muffler designed for a
Honda F4. I had the local Meineke muffler shop bend the connecting pipe and
weld a tab for the centerstand ($40). I chose the particular muffler because:
        it was available
        it was noticibly lighter than the aluminum
        it was generally thought to be not too loud
        it was generally thought to be of good quality (not as good as
                Yoshimora, but better than D&D or Kerker or Vance&Hines)
        it wasn't too too expensive

The bike is noticibly louder, but not unpleasant. From my point of view (and I
do ride with earplugs) it's fine, and I haven't had any complaints from the
neighbors.

The performance seems better than stock from about 4500-6K. That may be my
imagination (fueled by the $$ I spent on the pipe!), a result of better air
flow, or the weight savings (~15lbs lighter than stock).

Gas mileage seems to be improved too.

There's slightly more vibration, and more heat coming off the connecting pipe,
though less off the muffler.

Mark
=>
=> Also, has anybody had any success in getting more power out of the GTS ?
=>
=> Jon Crisler
=> Oracle DBA, Unix Admin
=> CORVIS Corporation
=>
=> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C01CF6.EABB0412
=>      charset="iso-8859-1"
=>
        [HTML version of your original message deleted!]

--
Mark Bergman    Biker, IATSE #1 Stagehand, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic
'94 Yamaha GTS1000A

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
5+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman