Just a little curious, isn't the 880 a bias tire?  And an MEZ4 should not
have 40PSI in the front.  My MEZ4's last about 8k miles and handle
excellent.  The Avon front I had was good, but not up to the same level as
a MEZ4. (the rear Avon is a dissaster in my opinion.)  My bike has never
had any of the mythical headshake, deceleration wobble, etc. with any tire
so all my findings are based on traction and wear.
the tires that came on my bike when I got it were Dunflop 204 Front, 205
Rear.  These tires had decent traction all around but excibited major
cupping on the front, and major stepping on the rear.  My next set were a
set of Mez 1 Front and rear.  Heh heh hee..........reaction while riding:
damn this is goood.  Reaction after stopping:
damn, where did my tire go???!!  After that I changed to the MEZ4.
Excellent tire.  While in Lake George in 1999 I had a set of Avon Azaros
put on.  5500 miles later they came off.  Rear was worn out at 4000, and
the rear tire had a wobble or instability when riding in straight lines.
Oh, and the wet traction on the Azaro rear sucks, really good tire if you
want to practice for dirt track racing.
Louis