In your message dated: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 06:30:09 EDT,
your pithy ruminations on <Amsoil Filters> were:
=> I've tried all those filters mentioned in a fit-check.
=>  They all fit, but as you get longer they run closer
=> to the exhaust pipe, FWIW.  Close examination of them
=> and the Yamaha (Denso) reveals the Yamaha seems to be
=> of higher quality--not that the Amsoils aren't good
=> enough, I just see/feel more grip threads and a closer
=> tolerance to the thread diameter giving a better fit
=> upon installation.  Also, three cheers to my Amsoil
=> guy for scrounging up these filters for me to fool
=> with...

Don't be fooled into buying a filter based on it's cover. Even if it fits,
different filters have bypass valves and anti-drainback valves of different
characteristics from OEM. If the fancy aftermarket filter you buy has a stiffer
spring on the bypass valve, then if the filter gets clogged, or the oil is very
cold and you stress the engine (high RPMs), the engine will be starved for oil.
If the bypass valve sticks, the filter will burst. If the anti-drainback valve
doesn't retain most/some of the oil from draining out of the filter and
galleys, the engine will be starved for oil immediately upon starting.

A filter _can_ ruin an engine.

Long dissection of many different filters:
        http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Very good page about the search for a good Moto Guzzi filter
        http://www.mgnoc.com/oil_filters.htm

Sure AMSoil may be the greatest thing in the world (after Amway, of course :),
but if the filter's internal characteristics aren't right of the intended
vehicle, it's not a good choice. Remember, size isn't everything...it's how it
works inside that counts.

Mark
=> FL Kev
=>
=> __________________________________________________
=> Do You Yahoo!?
=> Yahoo! Photos - 35mm Quality Prints, Now Get 15 Free!
=> http://photos.yahoo.com/
=>

--
Mark Bergman    Biker, IATSE #1 Stagehand, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic
'94 Yamaha GTS1000A

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
5+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman