h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff ! important;}
div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul {
list-style-type:square; padding-left:1em; } div#emailbody
table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote { padding-left:6px;
border-left: 6px solid #dadada; margin-left:1em; } div#emailbody
table#itemcontentlist tr td div li { margin-bottom:1em;
margin-left:1em; } table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link,
table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, table#itemcontentlist tr td
a:active, ul#summarylist li a { color:#000033; font-weight:bold;
text-decoration:none; } img {border:none;} The Sport Review: “Strauss
seeks to revive weary England ahead of World Cup” plus 1 more

Strauss seeks to revive weary England ahead of World Cup

After winning their second successive home Ashes series in 2009, Andy
Flower's men wisely chose to avoid the over-exuberant celebrations of
2005.
Eighteen months later, after winning their first away Ashes series
since 1987, England returned to an even more muted reception at
Heathrow airport on Tuesday.

Not only has the gloss of retaining the urn been taken off by their 6-1
drubbing by Australia in the ODI series but a string of key injuries
have dampened spirits further.

Eoin Morgan was ruled out of the World Cup in Asia yesterday with a
broken finger while Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Ajmal
Shahzad and Graeme Swann are all walking-wounded members of England's
15-man squad.

And with only a few days to recover before the party jump on a plane to
Dhaka on 12 February ahead of their World Cup opener against
Netherlands 10 days later, captain Andrew Strauss faces an uphill task
in galvanizing his weary men.

As always, Strauss has said the right things, that England
are "dangerous", "can do a lot at the World Cup" and are "confident".

Despite the setbacks there is weight behind Strauss positivity.

In the last global 50-over competition, England competed well, beating
South Africa and Sri Lanka before losing in the semi-finals to eventual
champions Australia.

And their ODI form since has been promising; in their series wins in
South Africa and Bangladesh before their dismantling at the hands of
Australia they certainly displayed progress.

But the timing of the 10th World Cup couldn't be worse for England, who
are yet to win the trophy.

England set off for their tour of Australia on 29 October and many will
have become nomadic travellers rather than contented cricketers by 2
April, the date of the World Cup final.

It is hardly a schedule that promotes success and unsurprisingly has
attracted criticism from England's players.

Earlier this month Kevin Pietersen slammed the packed itinerary. “Our
schedule is ridiculous going into this World Cup," he told the Press
Association. “It has been for England teams for a very long time, and
that’s probably why England have not done well in World Cups.”

Pietersen has a point and although England probably shouldn't have
scheduled to play seven ODIs in Australia but unfortunately it is a
massive country and every corner of it wants their chance to see the
touring party.

And as long as England are the only major European cricketing nation
there will always be difficulties fitting them into the international
calendar.

With 50-over tournament in the subcontinent probably the toughest
physical test a cricketer could face, the signs are not good for
England.

And so Morgan, who didn't feature in any of the Ashes Test matches, was
earmarked as the man who could inspire England to their second global
trophy.

But one man's injury is another's opportunity and Ravi Bopara now has a
chance to finally realise his immense potential. The Essex batsman was
chosen to replace Morgan ahead of Alastair Cook, whose run-scoring
heroics laid the foundations for England's Ashes success.

Despite Cook's idyllic winter, his county team-mate is a wiser option
for he offers bigger hitting and a useful medium pace option. A more
technically correct batsman than Morgan, Bopara had flattered to
deceive in his 54 ODI matches so far, averaging under 30.

But after playing just four ODIs in the last year Bopara has worked
hard on his game with successive club spells in New Zealand and India
and it is hoped he will return to the England fold a more confident
and improved cricketer.

But though Morgan will be sorely missed, his absence may solve a
headache for the selectors. Spin is sure to play a key role out in the
subcontinent and so England will be keen to get both Graeme Swann and
Michael Yardy into the side.

With Morgan out, the dilemma of whether to drop Pietersen, Ian Bell or
Paul Collingwood (who could offer a useful alternative with the ball)
is deferred. Collingwood could simply move up one place in the batting
order to accommodate.

In essence we don't know which England team will show up.

It could be the inspirational side which lit up the 2010 Twenty20 World
Cup and 2009 Champions Trophy or the one which stunk up the past two
World Cups.

But despite this apparent inconsistency, one thing that has been
constant since Flower and Strauss took over is that this England team
usually find a way to perform.

Steve McClaren wants quick return to football management

Steve McClaren is eager to make a quick return to football management
after being dismissed by Wolfsburg on Monday.
McClaren, 49, was sacked by the Bundesliga outfit in the wake of his
side’s 1-0 loss to Hannover last Saturday.

The defeat was their second successive loss and continued a miserable
sequence of just one league win in 11, leaving them just one point
above the relegation zone.

“Naturally, I am hugely disappointed that my time as Head Coach of VfL
Wolfsburg has come to an end,” said the former England manager in a
statement released by the League Managers Association.

“However, I am extremely proud to have become the first Englishman to
manage a Bundesliga club following the marvellous experience of
coaching in Holland for two years culminating in winning the Dutch
title.”

McClaren, who is the first English manager to have coached a Bundesliga
side, was last season named Dutch Coach of the Year after leading FC
Twente to the club’s first league title before opting to move to
Germany last summer.

“Since I came to the club, I have worked really hard to implement
changes to bring stability and success on the field,” said McClaren. “I
believe we have been making good progress and have only lost two of the
last ten games in the Bundesliga.

“I have built up a strong relationship with the squad during my time
here and I sincerely thank all the players for their hard work and
great attitude. I would also like to thank the fantastic Wolfsburg fans
who have been so supportive of me during my time in Germany.”

McClaren added: “I wish the club, its supporters, staff and players
every success for the future and I now look forward to the challenge of
securing another management opportunity in football.”

And LMA chief executive Richard Bevan is confident McClaren will
swiftly find work at another of Europe’s top clubs. He said: “I am
certain that Steve's highly impressive credentials as a coach and
manager will be widely sought after throughout Europe.”
You are subscribed to email updates from The Sport Review
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery