h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff ! important;}
div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul {
list-style-type:square; padding-left:1em; } div#emailbody
table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote { padding-left:6px;
border-left: 6px solid #dadada; margin-left:1em; } div#emailbody
table#itemcontentlist tr td div li { margin-bottom:1em;
margin-left:1em; } table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link,
table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, table#itemcontentlist tr td
a:active, ul#summarylist li a { color:#000033; font-weight:bold;
text-decoration:none; } img {border:none;} The Sport Review: “Man Utd 4
Schalke 1: Ferguson ‘proud’ after reaching final” plus 2 more

- Man Utd 4 Schalke 1: Ferguson ‘proud’ after reaching final
- England call up Rachel Williams for Sweden clash
- Madrid Masters 2011: Seeds vanish in Madrid’s magic box
Man Utd 4 Schalke 1: Ferguson ‘proud’ after reaching final

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, 4 MAY 2011, OLD TRAFFORD Man Utd Valencia (26)
Gibson (31) Anderson (72, 76) 4 – 1 Schalke Jurado (35) Manchester
United cruised past Schalke to set up another Champions League final
against Barcelona.
First-half strikes from Antonio Valencia and Darron Gibson followed by
a second-half brace from Anderson helped secure a 6-1 aggregate win for
Sir Alex Ferguson’s men, and a place in the Wembley final later this
month.

“They did me proud,” Ferguson said. “It was a semi-final and the fact
it’s such an important game does create a bit of doubt in your mind of
‘Am I doing the right thing?’ but I’m glad we were vindicated.

“It’s fantastic for the club. We’re where we want to be. I’ve said many
times we should have done better in Europe over the years and I think
this team can win the cup.”

Ferguson insists his side will not be intimidated by Barcelona, who
beat United in the Champions League final in 2009, when they meet again
in London later this month.

“Their [Barcelona's] performances are there for everyone to see but
we’ve done our job well, Wembley is a neutral ground and we’ll be well
prepared,” he continued.

“I don’t think we should be going there lacking confidence. Their form
has been very good, we’re playing a fantastic team but there shouldn’t
be a sense of terror. We can’t be frightened out of our skin. We’ve got
to find a solution to playing against them.”

Meanwhile, United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar, who will retire in the
summer, was thrilled with his side’s commanding display.

“It was perfect, after the first leg we were quite well set up to be
able to make changes and keep the majority of players fresh for the big
game on Sunday,” he said.

“We saw how emotional Barcelona were yesterday and maybe our reaction
was a bit more subdued but Barca’s was because they have a big rivalry
[against Real Madrid].

“Barcelona play exceptionally good football and of course it’s going to
be difficult, they showed that in the final in 2009. We have to show we
learned the lesson from that one and be better prepared.”

England call up Rachel Williams for Sweden clash

England coach Hope Powell has called up Birmingham City forward Rachel
Williams to her squad for the final warm-up game before the World Cup
in Germany in June.
Williams, who hit the first Women's Super League hat-trick against
Liverpool and is the league's top scorer with six goals in four games,
joins Chelsea midfielder Dani Buet in the squad.

England take on Sweden on 17 May at Oxford's Kassam Stadium without
captain Faye White, who was injured during Arsenal's 1-0 win over
Bristol Academy in the WSL last month.

The rest of Powell's squad is unchanged from the historic 2-1 victory
over the USA last month, but for the inclusion of Chelsea goalkeeper
Carly Telford.

England's last game against Sweden ended in a 1-1 draw in the Euro 2009
group stages with White's header cancelled out by a Victoria Svensson
penalty.

Their last meeting in England was during Euro 2005, when Powell's side
were denied a place in the semi-finals after Anna Sjostrom scored the
only goal at Ewood Park.

"This game will be competitive, it will be physical and it will be
another good test for us," said Powell.

"Our games against Sweden in recent years have been very close and that
just shows how far we have progressed. I can remember getting beaten
5-0 by them a few years ago, but games between us recently have been
drawn or there have been narrow wins for either side.

"This is a good final home fixture going into a World Cup," she
continued. "The level of competition is exactly right; Sweden are a
world class team.

"I was really pleased with how we played against USA, particularly in
the first half. The Sweden game will provide us with a good benchmark
to see whether that USA game was a one-off or whether have got it
within ourselves to keep reproducing those sorts of good results
against the top teams.

"Since the draw was made in November it has been a manic few months,
but a great few months for the women's game, especially with the launch
of the WSL. Women's football is now beginning to flourish like never
before and we should all embrace it."

Powell will announce her World Cup squad on 10 June before England's
first group game against Mexico in Wolfsburg on 27 June.
England squad to face Sweden:
Goalkeepers: Karen Bardsley (Sky Blue), Rachel Brown (Everton), Siobhan
Chamberlain (Bristol Academy), Carly Telford (Chelsea).

Defenders: Sophie Bradley (Lincoln Ladies), Lindsay Johnson (Everton),
Claire Rafferty (Chelsea), Alex Scott (Boston Breakers), Casey Stoney
(Lincoln Ladies), Dunia Susi (Birmingham City), Rachel Unitt (Everton).

Midfielders: Anita Asante (Sky Blue), Laura Bassett (Birmingham City),
Dani Buet (Chelsea), Steph Houghton (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Everton),
Fara Williams (Everton)

Forwards: Eniola Aluko (Sky Blue), Karen Carney (Birmingham City), Jess
Clarke (Lincoln Ladies), Natasha Dowie (Everton), Kelly Smith (Boston
Breakers), Sue Smith (Lincoln Ladies), Ellen White (Arsenal), Rachel
Williams (Birmingham City), Rachel Yankey (Arsenal).

Madrid Masters 2011: Seeds vanish in Madrid’s magic box

There has been a nice symmetry to the disappearance of eight of the top
16 men in the Madrid Masters draw, as though this magical venue—the
Caja Magica—has waved its wand in equal measure across the quarters.
The centre of Rafael Nadal's section lost Andy Roddick in the first
match since his opening round loss at the Miami Masters. Even for a man
who is far from happy on the red dirt, this was a hard loss by the No12
seed to the Italian qualifier, and world No160, Flavio Cipolla.

The next seed to go was No13 Mikhail Youzhny, whose misfortune it was
to meet Juan Martín del Potro in the opening round.

Del Potro continues to impress on his fight back up the rankings after
an absence of almost a year following wrist surgery. Already this
season, he has played more matches than any of the top six men and has
won two titles, the most recent on the clay of Estoril last week.

Indeed, the Argentine had just two days between that win and taking on
the craft and intelligence of Youzhny.

Del Potro won the first set with ease, but looked down and out when he
tweaked his hip in the second and required extended on-court treatment.
That set was lost but, in the third, he unleashed his trademark serve
and vicious forehand to batter the Russian into submission.

It remains to be seen whether Del Potro's hip will recover enough to
cope with Marin Cilic followed by the possibility of revenge over Nadal
for his loss in the Indian Wells semis. However, the Argentine looks
set to break back into the top 10 by the end of the year: He is already
at 32 and rising like hot geyser.

Roger Federer's quarter has also lost its middle two seeds. The top 10
debutant, Nicolas Almagro, who had won two clay titles this year, met a
tough opening opponent in No18 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, and lost in just 67
minutes.

Fernando Verdasco, despite a final finish in Estoril on Sunday,
continues to struggle with his form. The more he loses, the more his
confidence and focus seem to suffer—a worrying return to the Verdasco
of a couple of years back—and he looked fit to burst as the nimble and
quick Yen-Hsun Lu ran him ragged.

Verdasco hammered the balls, smashed his racket, lost his cool and lost
the match, 7-6 7-5.

Verdasco was one of a dozen Spaniards in their home Masters tournament:
a quality and depth unparalleled by any other country. But he proved to
be the sixth of the dozen to fall before the third round—and three more
are yet to negotiate that barrier.

With Feliciano Lopez on a 0-7 losing record to Federer and Guillermo
Garcia-Lopez on a 0-4 losing run to Novak Djokovic, their prospects of
joining Nadal in the fight for a quarter-final place look remote.

Andy Murray's quarter lost three key players in the first round,
notably Nikolay Davydenko, who won his 21st title in Munich on Sunday.
The two-day turn-around proved too much, and the Russian went down in
straight sets to Spanish wild card Marcel Granollers.

Davydenko's final opponent in Munich, Florian Mayer, bounced back
rather better, taking out No16 Viktor Troicki. Also out of this segment
is Gael Monfils, who negotiated his first match against the difficult
Ivo Karlovic, but had to retire injured against Juan Monaco.

Murray's opening match will be against Gilles Simon who, as expected,
had a tough battle against Ivan Ljubicic, taking the win in two hours,
7-5 7-6.

Murray was a convincing winner over Simon when they played three weeks
back in Monte Carlo and, with his elbow back in good shape after a
couple of weeks rest, Murray will be confident of repeating the win.

He then has little to concern him until a possible quarter-final
against Tomas Berdych, who opens his account, along with Murray, on
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario on Wednesday.

And so to the last quarter, featuring Djokovic fresh from his 23rd
career title, his fifth of the year, his 29th straight match-win. He
has seen the potential threats of Stan Wawrinka and Mardy Fish—who only
a fortnight ago broke into the top 10 for the first time in his
career—fall at their first hurdles, and he very nearly saw his
potential quarter-final opponent, David Ferrer, wiped from his path as
well.

Fresh from final finishes in Monte Carlo and Barcelona, and with a 13-2
win-loss record on clay, No6 Ferrer is one of the strongest contenders
on this surface. But the Madrid courts are the fastest of the clay
season and it was quickly clear that he was struggling to adjust his
speed and length against the up-and-coming Frenchman, Adrian Mannarino.

The 22-year-old qualifier's fast and unconventional brand of tennis
posed some challenging questions, and Ferrer quickly went down a break
in the opening set. He then reined in his unforced errors, started to
read his opponent better and fought back to 7-5.

It looked as though the momentum was now solidly with the Spaniard, but
the flair of the slight Frenchman put Ferrer on the back foot. The
left-handed Mannarino has a short backswing, takes the ball early and
on the rise, and powers the ball low, flat and deep.

His pin-point timing generates deceptive speed for a man of his build
and, in a thrilling demonstration of crisp, shot making, great touch
and constant accuracy, he ripped through the second set 6-0.

But two things conspired to turn the third set around. This was
Mannarino's fourth match in as many days—and Ferrer is as fit and
resilient as they come. The Spaniard put his head down, ran harder,
found some extra aggression and took control—though not until he had
fought off four break points on his second service game—to win his own
bagel, 6-0.

So Ferrer survived, and this tough match will have helped get his eye
in for Madrid's quick conditions.

Mannarino, for his part, has laid down a marker. His game sparkled with
originality and also the promise that further improvement can be
made—his serve is an example. So remember his name, especially when the
hard courts—or maybe even better, the grass—come around.
You are subscribed to email updates from The Sport Review
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery