h1 a:hover {background-color:#888;color:#fff ! important;}
div#emailbody table#itemcontentlist tr td div ul {
list-style-type:square; padding-left:1em; } div#emailbody
table#itemcontentlist tr td div blockquote { padding-left:6px;
border-left: 6px solid #dadada; margin-left:1em; } div#emailbody
table#itemcontentlist tr td div li { margin-bottom:1em;
margin-left:1em; } table#itemcontentlist tr td a:link,
table#itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, table#itemcontentlist tr td
a:active, ul#summarylist li a { color:#000033; font-weight:bold;
text-decoration:none; } img {border:none;} The Sport Review: “Porto
coach André Villas-Boas cools talk of Chelsea switch” plus 2 more

- Porto coach André Villas-Boas cools talk of Chelsea switch
- Europa League final preview: FC Porto v SC Braga
- Man Utd target Manuel Neuer ‘agrees’ to join Bayern Munich
Porto coach André Villas-Boas cools talk of Chelsea switch

Porto coach André Villas-Boas insisted he has not been distracted by
speculation linking him with a move to Chelsea ahead of his side’s
Europa League final showdown with Braga on Wednesday.
The Blues are reportedly keen on tempting the 33-year-old to Stamford
Bridge, with current boss Carlo Ancelotti looking increasingly likely
to leave in the summer.

In his first term in full management Villas-Boas, who worked under José
Mourinho at both Chelsea and Internazionale, has become only the second
manager to lead a Portuguese side to the league title unbeaten.

And the highly-rated coach maintains that he is not thinking about a
move away from his home-town club as he prepares his team to face their
local rivals in Dublin on Wednesday.

“I am very happy at Porto,” said Villas-Boas, whose side are still in
the hunt for a league and cup treble this season. “It’s the city where
I grew up. It’s my home club and I don’t see it easy to leave it.

“We are focused on winning the Europa League and next year we will go
into Champions League. You cannot say that by reaching the final in the
Europa League you will win the Champions League the next year [like
Mourinho did]. It’s not that straightforward.

“Next year we hope to get through the group stage, then maybe the
quarter-final or further. Let’s dream a little bit more.”

Porto dropped only six points on their way to the Portuguese league
title this season – a feat which Villas-Boas insists is down to his
players’ efforts rather than his coaching.

“I think people focus a lot on the work of the manager and I don’t see
it that way,” the Portuguese manager continued.

“The work of the manager depends on the structure of the coaching staff
and the quality of the players. This year we have mixed that together
well. It’s not a one-man show.”

Europa League final preview: FC Porto v SC Braga

Uefa Europa League final, 18 May 2011, Dublin Arena, 7:45pm UK FC Porto
v SC Braga Local Portuguese rivals Porto and Braga are gearing up for
their Europa League final showdown in Dublin on Wednesday.
André Villas-Boas’ men, who won the Portuguese league without losing a
single game this season, take on their neighbours at the Dublin Arena
as the Porto boss looks to emulate José Mourinho’s treble-winning
season in 2003.

Braga coach Domingos Paciência, meanwhile, has announced that he will
leave the club after the clash in Dublin despite steering his new team
to a club-best second place in the Liga in his first term in charge
last season.
Previous meetings
The two sides have never met before in Europe and this is only the
second European tie to be contested by two Portuguese sides after Braga
eliminated Benfica in the first in this season’s semi-finals, losing
2-1 in Lisbon but prevailing on away goals with a 1-0 home victory.

They have faced each other 131 times in domestic encounters. Porto have
claimed 92 wins to Braga’s 17 with 22 draws.

The two sides have met in the final of the Portuguese Cup twice: Porto
won 1-0 in 1977 and 3-1 in 1998.

Porto have triumphed in the clubs’ last three meetings, scoring nine
goals and conceding three. Braga last beat the Portuguese champions in
a 1-0 home victory on 19 September 2009 – Braga’s only win in their
last nine games against the blue-and-whites.
Did you know?
No previous Uefa club competition final has been contested by sides
this close in geographic terms; Porto and Braga are just 47km apart.
The previous record was set in the 1988 Uefa Super Cup, between KV
Mechelen and PSV Eindhoven.

This is Braga’s first appearance in a European final. Before this
season their most substantial achievements in Europe were reaching the
Uefa Cup round of 16 in 2006-07 and 2008-09.

Porto manager André Villas-Boas will be 32 years and 213 days old on
the day of the final and, should his side prevail, would become the
youngest coach to win a Uefa club competition.

Having wrapped up the Portuguese League title in April, Villas-Boas
could emulate José Mourinho’s 2003 achievement and end the season with
a treble. Porto contest the Portuguese Cup final on 22 May.

Braga coach Domingos Paciência was a prolific striker at Porto, whom he
represented from 1987-97 and again from 1999-2001. If Braga win in
Dublin, Paciência will become the first coach to defeat a side he
represented as a player in a Uefa Cup or Europa League final.
Porto coach André Villas-Boas said:
“I respect Jose Mourinho, but don’t want to be his clone. I want to be
able to work freely, without restraint, without worrying what he thinks.

“It’s very easy to compare things, but if you look at our personalities
and what we have achieved, it’s very different. I don’t see myself
reaching that level of success.”
Braga coach Domingos Paciência said:
“In a final, and given how the season has gone, it’s natural that Porto
are big favourites. But it’s a final – it’s just one match.

“With the right inspiration and motivation, many situations can occur
in a match that can get you a goal. That is what makes us believe it’s
possible to win.”
Last five meetings
24 Sep 2009 – Porto 1 Braga 1
19 Sep 2009 – Braga 1 Porto 0
21 Feb 2010 – Porto 5 Braga 1
11 Sep 2010 – Porto 3 Braga 2
13 Feb 2011 – Braga 0 Porto 2
Match details
Porto v Braga, Uefa Europa League final
Dublin Arena – Wednesday 18 May 2011 – 7:45pm UK

Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)

Man Utd target Manuel Neuer ‘agrees’ to join Bayern Munich

Bayern Munich have agreed a deal to sign Schalke goalkeeper Manuel
Neuer, according to the Bundesliga side’s president.
Neuer, 24, was linked with a move to Manchester United following a
superb display for Schalke against Sir Alex Ferguson’s men in the first
leg of the pair's Champions League semi-final.

But Bayern president Uli Hoeness says a deal has now been struck
between the two German clubs, with the 22-time Bundesliga champions
reportedly agreeing to pay €15m (£13m) for Neuer's services.

“Our board have reached an agreement with Schalke in negotiations and
it is just a psychological question of whether they want to announce it
before the cup final or afterwards,” said Hoeness.

The Germany goalkeeper had already confirmed that he would not be
extending his contract with Schalke beyond 2012.

Sir Alex Ferguson is on the lookout for a permanent replacement for
40-year-old Edwin van der Sar, who is hanging up his boots this summer.

And speculation linking Neuer with a move to Old Trafford was rife
after the United boss hailed the stopper’s display in the wake of their
Champions League clash with the German club.

“Manuel Neuer was incredible," said Ferguson after their 2-0 win in
Gelsenkirchen. "In my time at United it is probably the finest display
of goalkeeping against us. I’m sure there have been others but tonight
we have seen a very good one.”

But Neuer insisted that he was not tempted by a move to the Premier
League. “Manchester United was never an option for me,” he said.
You are subscribed to email updates from The Sport Review
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email delivery