[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Han-Wen Nienhuys) writes:

> I think that GUILE creates garbage as a side effect of evaluating
> code. If think that nothing needs to be swept, try disabling GC during
> startup, and see how well it performs memory-wise.

I did try commenting out all calls to `scm_i_gc ()' and running my
workload again.  Actually, it doesn't make a big difference: a lot of
time is still spent in `scm_i_sweep_card ()', called from
`scm_i_sweep_some_cards ()' and friends.

> For startup time, I think the best (as in: quickest) would be undump a
> previous run, instead of recalculating all the initialization on every
> run. Not only does this save on GC time, it also bypasses all evaluation.
> Isn't this what Emacs also does?

Don't know, we'd have to investigate further.  Still, that wouldn't fix
our greedy-GC problem.

Thanks,
Ludovic.