On 6/30/24 3:27 PM, Philip McGrath wrote:

I hadn't realized that other languages in Guile might compile to Tree-IL directly instead of generating syntax objects. Is that common and/or encouraged? It seems like it would require the new language's compiler to do a lot of work that could otherwise be delegated to Guile, and it would make it difficult to implement parts of the new language using macros.

I've written a LALR parser generator (based on the algorithm in the dragon book) and have produced a few sample parsers and compilers.  I always compile to tree-il. See the javascript and mlang subdirs under https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/nyacc.git/tree/examples/nyacc/lang

Matt