Thanks for your answer
- is it possible to use guile for such task ? More precisely, can I
compile the guile script just once in `my_initialize_guile` and use it
in the while loop without having to recompile it.
I am not sure to well understand.  Since, it could be read two ways:

  + Call Scheme from C

I want to call scheme from C.

The C loop scans the binary data and a scheme script would be used to
accept/reject a record. Something like

        ./my-c-program --filter '(and (is-male?) (is-german?) )' persons.data >
male_from_germany.data

- furthermore, what's the best practice to include the user's script in
a larger script that would include the definitions of `variant-is-snp?`
, `variant-allele-count`, etc...
Maybe modules?

right, if I call scheme fro C should I put my library in a directory or is
there any way to embed the code in the C executable (in a const char*...)

What you want to replace is the driver – currently implemented in AWK.
You would like to have the driver (glue code) in Guile.  Is it correct?

hum not sure .. again, here my program is a C code, and I want to provide a
guile program that would be used as a filter for each record.

./my-c-program --filter '(and (is-male?) (is-german?) )' persons.data >
male_from_germany.data

I hope it's clearer now

Pierre