Hi,

On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 2:29 AM Attila Lendvai <att...@lendvai.name> wrote:

> a related issue is that currently there are two parallel registries for guix
> packages:
>
>  1) module-global variables in the guile module system
>  2) the reified package registry of guix.

Veering even further from Andy's topic of namespaces, please allow me
to suggest that we unite those two approaches.

Like Attila, I prefer the variables (except on the Guix command line).
Let's provide package variables—perhaps ending with asterisks—that
allow selections just like on the 'guix shell' command line.

They would look like that:

    (ldns* #:version "1.8.3" #:output "drill")   for   "ldns@1.8.3:drill"

Meaningful symbolic selections for the version would also be possible,
like 'stable or 'latest. When the field is omitted, the caller would
get the most recent stable version available.

Kind regards,
Felix