> For this, I either go to issues.guix.gnu.org to download the newest patches,
> in case the message is not in my inbox.

some patchsets evolve a lot, and there are countless messages where obsolete
patche versions are intermingled with non-obsolete discussion...

> Otherwise I do not get your point: I keep untreated messages with the latest
> patch version in my Guix inbox, and file away the others in a separate mbox.
> So things are not flat, but have two levels: "to be treated" or "done".

my point is that in a PR based model/workflow things like this is done by a
program. and each brain cycle you spend on maintaining the sanity of your local
inbox, is not spent on hacking, and the results of your effort is not even
mirrored into the inbox of the other contributors.

this seems like a small thing, but multiply this with every message, and every
potential contributor and maintainer... and then consider its cumulative effect
on the emergent order that we call the Guix community.

meta:

the reason i'm contributing to this discussion is not that i'm proposing to
move to some specific other platform right now. it's rather to nudge the
consensus away from the conclusion that the email based workflow is good and is
worth sticking with.

once/if we get closer that consensus, only then should the discussion move on
to collect our requirements and evaluate the free sw solutions that are
available today. which again could be organized much better in a wiki than in
email threads, but that's yet another topic...

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39