paul <goodoldp...@autistici.org> writes:

> Hello Giovanni,
>
> I get that you really don't find the web based workflow to bring enough
> advantages to justify the migration, but first please consider the picture
> that
> Katherine sent and that we are evaluating the adequateness of the email
> medium as a FOSS contribution management tool over email.
>
> If we lower the bar for contributions more people are gonna be invested in
> Guix and will have interest in becoming committer and reviewer. My
> impression today is not that there aren't enough resources to cover reviews,
> the bottleneck is the total time that committers are able to dedicate to
> reviewing (potentially re-reviewing if some other non-committer contributor
> has already done a first review) and actually commiting changes.
>
> I have many contributions opened more than a year ago where (sometimes also
> because of me obviously, we're all working after work here) the
> interactions on the issue are separated by many weeks, sometimes even months.
>
> To ease that bottleneck we just need to give more time to committers or to
> increase the number of committers. All the automation and process changes
> we evaluate should be focused on either one of this two goals. I don't have
> evidence that any web forge will help (maybe someone has?), but I wouldn't
> throw it out of the window just because it does not ease the current review
> process.
>
> cheers
>
> giacomo

To second this, I'd like to note for the record that on fedi at least
1-2 people told me that they chose Nix over Guix because they don't want
to deal with the email based workflow.  At least one of these people is
a highly skilled programmer with decades of experience.

While I mostly argued for Sourcehut, I think the pull-based alternatives
should also be kept in mind.