> lines of code. I think hyper-focusing on syntax to make services
> "nicer" might be the wrong approach here: You could greatly reduce the
> complexity by making them procedures instead of syntax and still keep
> most of the configuration readable to a great extent.

i agree. in my experience, it's good practice in general to try to make a
functional API as convenient as possible, and if that is still too verbose or
cumbersome, only then add a thin layer of syntactic abstractions that expand to
code that uses this functional API.

such code is much easier to work with, especially when debugging stuff
interactively (i.e. it's possible to recompile a function that will then affect
every place in the code where the macrology is used).

the downside of generating countless macros is that they won't show up in
backtraces, and they cannot be found when grep'ping the codebase, and as such
make the codebase much less approachable. the size of their expansion can also
become an issue if they are used often enough.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

  • Syntactic Diabete... Edouard Klein
    • Re: Syntacti... Liliana Marie Prikler
      • Re: Synt... Attila Lendvai
        • Re: ... Edouard Klein
          • ... Liliana Marie Prikler
            • ... Edouard Klein
              • ... Liliana Marie Prikler
                • ... Attila Lendvai
                • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
                • ... Attila Lendvai
                • ... Michal Atlas
                • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
                • ... Liliana Marie Prikler
                • ... Attila Lendvai
                • ... Liliana Marie Prikler
                • ... Attila Lendvai