Hi Christopher,

Christopher Baines <m...@cbaines.net> skribis:

> While releases will still require bursts of effort, I think we need a
> more sustainable approach to actually achieve more frequent releases.

I think this is largely an organizational problem.

As discussed at the 2023 Guix Days (!), we could follow a model similar
to that of NixOS: form a release team (~4 people) dedicated to keeping
track of issues in particular wrt. the installer, and committed to
publishing a release within 4–6 months. (I think several people actually
volunteered back in Feb. 2023. :-))

After that, another team, possibly with some overlap, would take over.

What matters IMO is to make sure people on the team are not on their own
(they coordinate the effort, they don’t fix every single bug by
themselves), that they have agency (they decide what goes into the
release and what’s left for later), and they do not risk burn-out (it’s
a fixed-term mandate).

Anyway, I agree it’s high time we published a new release! I would
encourage anyone with some experience to volunteer on the team.  Again,
that doesn’t require expertise on the whole code base but rather a good
idea of which teams to talk to and methodology to keep track of things
to be done.

Thanks,
Ludo’.