Hi Ludo' (and Attila)

On Fri, May 17 2024, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> look at any service you’re using that has a custom ‘start’ or ‘stop’
> method doing weird things; make sure none of them can block.

Okay, that's the probably the source of my problems.  I do a lot of
things in Guile in my operation-system declaration (without even
a program-file).  It's just too convenient!

The resulting lack of isolation probably causes my issues, although
there seem to be a class of runtime errors causing me trouble that are
not blocking behaviors.  (Remember my time with the days of the week
starting with zero instead of one?)

Some Newbie errors are hard to debug with Shepherd. In fairness, that's
probably true for all of Guile.

A better way to develop services is probably to use the Shepherd's REPL.
I have done so one time before and am now reading the manual.

The Shepherd may become a real sensation when folks outside Guix become
aware of it.  It's a wonderful piece of software.

Please also allow me to address Attila's comments.  I cannot say whether
I encountered a bug in Shepherd, or whether Attila and I saw the same
bug.  I am sure, howeer, that the Shepherd's behavior sometimes deviates
from my expectations.

It's probably because I'm not using it right but it can be a real source
of frustration and anxiety at times.

And Attila, as for your interaction with Ludo' I am not sure there is
great value in venting about Ludo' making changes that are difficult to
rebase upon.  It is the privilege of a maintainer.

You are not the only one to have felt that frustration.

At the same time, your contributions to the Shepherd could be very
valuable.  You are talented and committed to excellence.  All you have
to do---if it's not an overreach for me to say so here---is to get
yourself on the same page with Ludo'.

Please forgive my professorial tone.

For example, if Ludo' doesn't want debugging statements all over the
place there must be another plan to capture the output.  (Ludo' has not
said how, or I read over it.)  There is no point to litigate the details
here, but I would be happy to offer my help to mediate so that your
contributions become more acceptable upstream.

As a rule, I do not contribute to projects where my own direction
diverges too much, unless I offer features that are universally
attractive.  Life is too short.

Fortunately, I do not see irreconcilable differences between your
direction and Ludo's but you have to keep an open mind.

I write in peace.

Felix

P.S. I'm looking out for a reproducer!

  • Upgrading Shepher... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
    • Re: Upgradin... Attila Lendvai
      • Re: Upgr... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
        • Re: ... Attila Lendvai
          • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
            • ... Attila Lendvai
    • Re: Upgradin... Ludovic Courtès
      • Re: Upgr... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.