Felix Lechner <felix.lech...@lease-up.com> writes:

> > You could try invoking mount-file-system from (gnu build file-systems)
> > directly to try and narrow down what exactly is breaking.
> How would I go about doing that, please?

1. $ guix repl
2. Import the module with ,use (gnu build file-systems)
3. Call (mount-file-system <args_from_method_signature>) in the REPL

Most likely you'd need to run guix repl as root to actually mount the
file system, so make sure the root user's Guix is up to date.

This method /just/ mounts the file-system, no shepherd services are
involved. If it mounts via mount-file-system, then there's a problem
with the service.

Also, in my experience shepherd sometimes gets upset (aka deadlocks) if
you try shutting down your system while you have an manually mounted
file system attached, so I advise making sure to unmount it after you
finish testing.

> Yes, I am. [1]
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kind regards
> Felix
>
> P.S. Did you clear up the confusion about "requirements" being in the
> plural?

Ah, V3 of the patch [1] changed it from requirements to
shepherd-requirements. (In part for consistency with other services, in
part to make it distinct from dependencies, and in part to dodge that
whole pluralization debate.) The code you linked still uses
requirements, so that could explain the problem.

I'm surprised (and mildly concerned) that there wasn't obvious breakage
when building the system. You should get an error like:

ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Syntax error:
unknown file:383:20: file-system: extraneous field initializers (requirements)
in form (file-system (mount-point "/") (device "dummy") (requirements (quote
(fake))) (type "dummy"))

That's from me trying to create a file-system record with the
requirements field instead of shepherd-requirements.

[1]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/70542#19

--
Take it easy,
Richard Sent

  • Value in adding S... Richard Sent
    • Re: Value in... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
      • Re: Valu... Richard Sent
        • Re: ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
          • ... Attila Lendvai
        • Re: ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
          • ... Richard Sent
            • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
              • ... Richard Sent
            • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
    • Re: Value in... Ludovic Courtès