Hi Maxim,

Thanks for the detailed response! (And Andreas as well)

> Another Emacs tip for those who don't know it yet: pressing 'C'
> (capital C) on a diff hunk while authoring a commit message using
> Magit will create some ChangeLog entry stub in the commit message
> buffer, which saves a lot of typing. Perhaps we should mention this in
> our doc, as it makes writing GNU ChangeLog less painful.

Bonus points, there's a magit-generate-changelog [1] function that can
be run from the commit message buffer that'll insert changelog entries
for every diff hunk. I use this snippet to bind it to the commit entry
keymap:

(use-package magit
  ;; ...
  :bind (:map git-commit-mode-map
              ("C-c m" . magit-generate-changelog)))

> That sounds like a good, incremental, non-controversial approach to the
> issues found (good observation, by the way!); I encourage you to pursue
> it.

Got it, I'll take a crack at it at some point. I'll approach it from the
perspective of documenting current practices (standardizing on one
option when there are alternatives). Then if we don't like those
practices ([] vs <>), we can discuss if we should push for matching GNU
ChangeLog or leave it as is.

The joys of Texinfo await me. For some values of joy. 🙂

(If I recall correctly there's been discussion of an RFC process in the
past. I don't recall the details but depending on how expansive this
becomes perhaps that's relevant.)

[1]: https://github.com/magit/magit/pull/3928

--
Take it easy,