Dear Guix Community,

I am excited to announce that Guix substitutes (for x86_64) are now available
in North America, thanks to the generous contribution of server hardware and
infrastructure from GeneNetwork.org.

This new server enhances the availability and redundancy of Guix substitutes,
ensuring a more robust and reliable experience for users in North America.

We will be posting a detailed blog article about the setup of the build farm in
the coming weeks, but the Guix system configuration and notes about its setup
can be found at https://git.rekahsoft.ca/rekahsoft/guix-north-america/. Stay
tuned for more information!

# Using Substitutes from cuirass.genenetwork.org

If you're using Guix System, you can use the cuirass.genenetwork.org substitute
server completing the following:

1. Add `https://cuirass.genenetwork.org` to the list of substitute servers
(using the `substitute-urls` field of `guix-configuration` passed to the
`guix-daemon` service).
2. Adjust guix-daemon ACLs to include the following public key (using the
`authorized-keys` field of `guix-configuration` passed to the `guix-daemon`
service).

```
(public-key
 (ecc
  (curve Ed25519)
  (q #9578AD6CDB23BA51F9C4185D5D5A32A7EEB47ACDD55F1CCB8CEE4E0570FBF961#)
  )
)
```

In the future, we hope to work with Guix maintainers to include this substitute
server as one of the provided Guix System defaults.

When using Guix on a foreign distribution, you'll need to do the following to
enable substitutes from cuirass.genenetwork.org:

1. Add the substitute url using the `--substitute-urls` option to guix-daemon.
Assuming your foreign distribution uses systemd, this can be done using the
following.

```
sudo systemctl edit --full guix-daemon
sudo systemctl restart guix-daemon.service
```

2. Add the public key for cuirass.genenetwork.org to the guix-daemon ACLs.

```
guix archive --authorize <
/root/.config/guix/current/share/guix/cuirass.genenetwork.org.pub
```

If you want to just use ci.guix.gnu.org, or cuirass.genenetwork.org for that
matter, you'll need to adjust the substitute URLs configuration for the
guix-daemon to just refer to the substitute servers you want to use.

Best regards,

PS: thanks for the support Arun Isaac and Pjotr Prins!

--
Collin J. Doering

http://rekahsoft.ca
http://blog.rekahsoft.ca