On 2024-07-21 16:26:41 +0000, Vincent Legoll wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2024 at 12:57 PM Ludovic Courtès <l...@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > I guess this is probably what we should permit: building locally when we
> > cannot offload.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
> >

> What about making "build locally" not a special case, but just "offloading
> localhost" ?

That will not work without reworking (fixing) the offload mechanism.  (Some?)
flags are currently ignored for offload (--check, --rounds, ...), but you want
to have them working at least locally when you need them.

> Maybe as an implicit default, so that it would work naturally as today.
>
> And with some way to deny it for people who don't want to build locally
> at all, whatever their reason might be.
>
> Would that trim some "build locally"-specific code ?
>
> Is that already how it's done ?
>
> Is the idea crazy / dumb ?

No, I like it in general, if nothing else it would put the offload code on
critical path, ensuring it fully works.

I wonder what are the downsides (I am sure there are some).

> --
> Vincent Legoll

Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.