Hi,

On Tue, 14 Jul 2026 at 16:30, Ludovic Courtès <[email protected]> wrote:

> What waiting for the bot brings is a public track record, and the simple
> fact that it avoids mistakes that any person could make (and it runs
> ‘guix pull’, which committers are unlikely to do manually).
>
> Of course, there’s a risk of slowing things down if the infrastructure
> is not keeping up so we’ll have to constantly pay attention to that.

To me, the concern isn’t about “slow down“ but about “not done”.

When it’s a two-lines update and leaf – ’guix build -P1’ is doable and
indeed carefully done! – waiting for the bot appears to me “wasteful“.
Because once the bot reports green, someone™ still needs to rebase on
the top of current master and… check again! :-)

Somehow, from a committer perspective, it seems more efficient to merge
when I pick the Pull-Request and not when the bot answers, i.e.,
depending on the Moon phase.

The only thing CI does systematically that most committers don’t: run
’guix pull’.  Well, over the past year, we can count on the fingers of
only one hand the number of times ’guix pull’ has been broken; and it’s
even less because some “trivial" change.

To me the question about the “trivial” patches isn’t about the X-day
delay or about the bot’s answer but it’s more about where: master vs
team branch.

Somehow, the Policy should be:

 • always merge something to master with the green light from CI
 • merge something to some team branch when it’s best time for committer 

applied to all patches, including “trivial” ones.

That’s said…

> Right now, I think it’s okay (there’s typically a 3-day delay from
> submission to @guix-cuirass-bot feedback) but it still requires too much
> attention and manual intervention (for instance to cancel big rebuilds).
> Addressing this is the focus for Cuirass 1.4.

…I agree we should not adapt the Policy because the state of our CI; to
the contrary, we should have the Policy that appears to us the right one
and invest to make the CI “good enough”.

Well, there is indeed a danger of “not done” if the Policy is too strict
and the CI is miles away from the ball.  And I think the Policy to only
merge something to master when CI reports green lights is the right one.

Cheers,
simon

Reply via email to