Hi Gabriel,

On Wednesday, August 19th, 2026 at 5:25 AM, Gabriel Wicki <[email protected]> 
wrote:

> Hi
> 

> I've noticed that it comes with additional challenges to run the
> committer script inside of a container.  Does anybody here know how to
> do that?
> 

> I realized I need `less` inside the env for `git diff` to work its
> charms, but apparently TERM is set to `dumb` which makes `git diff`
> output an empty string which in turn lets the committer scripts think
> that there is nothing to be done.

This seems odd that an empty string was output because of the TERM setting. I 
just tried it using a random commit for the diff, and got a warning with a 
prompt to press return to continue followed by the diff once I did hit return:

$ TERM=dumb git diff eb54cdee2fc^..eb54cdee2fc
WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
Press RETURN to continue 

diff --git a/gnu/packages/containers.scm b/gnu/packages/containers.scm
index 4e4b8117e8c..beccaca44de 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/containers.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/containers.scm
@@ -1648,7 +1648,7 @@ (define-public catatonit
 (define-public podman
   (package
     (name "podman")
-    (version "6.0.2")
+    (version "6.1.0")
     (outputs '("out" "docker"))
     (properties
      `((output-synopsis "docker" "docker alias for podman")))
@@ -1659,7 +1659,7 @@ (define-public podman
              (url "https://github.com/podman-container-tools/podman";)
              (commit (string-append "v" version))))
        (sha256
-        (base32 "0didfzk85zs7jmih6p7ak9xrdlvxm817zsgrc7wr2amq9aiifmc4"))
+        (base32 "1vwm2s3ylsdmp550s45wzfmgnc1ckwap8f5nw7rypv0qqkr82fn2"))
        (file-name (git-file-name name version))))
     (build-system gnu-build-system)
     (arguments

> 

> Ideas/hints/pointers?  All help as always much appreciated!

I think either redirecting the standard output of "git diff" or setting PAGER 
to something else may do the trick. When I piped my above command to "cat" 
(i.e. running "TERM=dumb git diff eb54cdee2fc^..eb54cdee2fc | cat"), I got the 
diff without the accompanying warning or need to hit return. AFAIK, "git diff" 
won't try to use a pager like less if its output is to a pipe. Likewise you 
could get around not having less by setting PAGER to something else; I just 
tried it using cat as the pager, and got a longer diff to dump to the terminal. 
The warning and prompt to continue I saw were coming from less when TERM=dumb, 
because also setting PAGER=cat made the warning go away without redirecting the 
standard output. HTH!

Cheers,
Kaelyn

> 

> Best wishes
> gabriel / gabber
> 

> 

Attachment: publickey - [email protected] - 0x794377F0.asc
Description: application/pgp-keys

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

Reply via email to