Nguyễn Gia Phong via "Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution." <[email protected]> writes:
> Hi Zacchae, > > On 2026-08-27 at 22:09-07:00, Zacchaeus wrote: >> Unfortunately, acl's are a bit more free-form. Not only can each acl >> statment have multiple of the same modifiers or conditions, but the >> order matters, as illustrated by the followin example from the docs you >> link: >> >> require message = Can't verify sender >> verify = sender >> message = Can't verify recipient >> verify = recipient >> message = This message cannot be used > > I see, then would it be right to say list abuse is more user friendly? > IMHO predefined system services and configurations are mainly for UX, > so if conf records are too verbose it's better to use free-formed lists > or even expecting a path to config file in the original format. > > As a user, I'm grateful that there's a service type at all. I think it really depends on the service, if you can reasonably add type checking, then the UX for the user improves greatly, because the errors are cached early rather than at runtime. With that said, you wouldn't want to reimplement the parsing of a complex configuration, if the type check if manageable, and boils down to basic types: string, integer, boolean types, then it's worth it. If the type checking needs to be it's own beast then it's a different story. I'm not familiar with this particular service, but someone will need to maintain it, so I would suggest to keep that in mind. Best regards, -- Sergio
